Production Team

Michigan State University Extension's vegetable production team consists of MSU faculty and MSU Extension educators who serve Michigan’s diverse commercial vegetable industry. Extension educators respond to grower questions, plan educational meetings and programs based on their knowledge of the industry and industry stakeholder input. MSU faculty research problems and develop opportunities in the Michigan vegetable industry. Major program initiatives include: setting research priorities; leveraging industry, university and government grants; pest, nutrient, and irrigation monitoring; disease and pest management recommendations; identifying pesticide registration needs; supporting new and emerging commercial vegetable producers; creating presentations and demonstrations for statewide and local lecture-style and on-farm meetings; print and digital educational materials; weekly regional crop reports during the growing season. We envision a profitable vegetable industry in Michigan that is environmentally responsible and competitive on a global scale.

Our core field staff in the primary commercial vegetable growing regions can be contacted below.

For growers in the UP, your first point of contact should be Jim Isleib. For growers in the Northeast LP, your first point of contact should be Christian Tollini.

Looking for a Restricted Use Pesticide (RUP) certification? Call the Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Affairs (MDARD) at 1-800-292-3939 or visit the MDARD online RUP exam scheduler.

Looking for RUP credits? Search MDARD's list of approved RUP seminars.

Looking for gardening help? Direct your attention toward the Gardening in Michigan website, and send questions to “Ask an Expert” or call our toll-free number 888-MSUE4MI (888-678-3464). These experts and hotline responders were trained through the MSU Master Gardener Program. Beginning and experienced gardeners who are interested in becoming a volunteer and resource for other gardeners should consider becoming an Extension Master Gardener.

Bulletins references on this website may change. All attempts will be made to have them available for free here, but they can also be purchased or downloaded at the MSU Extension Bookstore at