MSF 4-H & Youth Virtual Showcase: Youth Swine - Dept. 10DOWNLOAD FILE
July 22, 2021
Classes in this department will be evaluated based on videos AND pictures. Videos should be no longer than 90 seconds and be continuous in nature with no narrative. The exhibitors should utilize the camera person as the judge, moving the animal away and around the camera person as they would in a show ring. The video should include all angles of the animal in order for a judge to make an evaluation. Exhibitor should be in the video at all times. Show clothes typical for industry is recommended. One photo of exhibitor and project is required. Additional photos recommended include: front view, back view, profile A and profile B. More information on how to take a good photo and video can be found at the MSU Extension Virtual Learning showcase and auction website. All videos must be uploaded to Youtube and link entered into the system. Youtube channel should be set to unlisted.
*** Please check and follow General Agriculture & Livestock Rules *
- All purebred animals must be registered in their respective registries. A Picture of Registration paper (and transfer if necessary) must accompany entry.
- To be eligible for competition all sows in Junior Yearling classes must have produced living offspring within six months preceding the first of September of the year shown, and all boars of like age must have sired pigs within the same time. Affidavits may be required to substantiate the above.
- Youth exhibitors will be permitted to enter a maximum of seven head in the Youth classes. A Youth exhibitor may not show more than one (1) animal in any swine class. Open to Michigan youth only.
DEFINITION OF TERMS
- A Junior Yearling is one farrowed December 1, 2019 through June 30, 2020.
- A Senior Pig is one farrowed July 1 through November 30, 2020.
- A December Pig is one farrowed after December 1, 2020.
- A January Pig is one farrowed after January 1, 2021.
- A February Pig is one farrowed after February 1, 2021.
- A March Pig is one farrowed after March 1, 2021.
- Senior Champion boars or sows must have been farrowed before January 1, 2021.
- Junior Champions must have been farrowed on or after January 1, 2021.
Youth Swine Showmanship
RULES: There will be three age divisions for Showmanship: 8 – 11, 12 – 15, and 16 – 19 (Age as of January 1, of the current year).
- Exhibitors who own and show an animal in a youth class are eligible for the fitting and showing class using one of their own animals.
- Exhibitors are eligible to compete in showmanship in each species exhibited by the exhibitor. The animal used by an exhibitor must be one used in a regular class.
- The class winners will compete for champion showman in that species. The dates for computing the age of showman will be January 1 of the current year.
- A video of up to 90 seconds should be submitted. The video should contain the usual moves of a showmanship class. Moving the animal around the ring, moving for the judge, rear view and side view.
Youth Market Classes:
- Market classes for each livestock species have been added to youth divisions; however, no auction will take place.
- See guidelines for videos/pictures in first paragraph above.