MSF 4-H & Youth Virtual Showcase: Youth Sheep - Dept. 6DOWNLOAD FILE
July 22, 2021
Classes in this department will be evaluated based on videos and pictures. Videos should be no longer than 90 seconds and be continuous in nature with no narrative. The exhibitors should utilize the camera person as the judge, moving the animal away and around the camera person as they would in a show ring. The video should include all angles of the animal in order for a judge to make an evaluation. Exhibitor should be in the video at all times. Show clothes typical for industry is recommended. Additional photos recommended include: front view, back view, one profile and registration form (if applicable). More information on how to take a good photo and video can be found at the MSU Extension Virtual Learning showcase and auction website. All videos must be uploaded to Youtube and link entered into the system. Youtube channel should be set to unlisted.
- Follow General Agriculture & Livestock Rules
- OWNER IS THE EXHIBITOR. Exhibitors name must match the name on registration papers. Must be owned by youth only. Animals may only be shown in one youth’s name.
- All purebred sheep, including lambs, must be registered and it shall be the duty of each exhibitor to present certificates of registration at time of online registration. Transfers must be signed by secretaries of the registry associations and must show the date of transfer. All sheep must be the bona-fide property of the exhibitor at the time of making entries. No animals can be shown unless registration papers have been checked and are in order. Photos of the registration paper (with transfer if necessary) must be submitted with entry. This does NOT apply to wether type or market animals.
- An animal may only be shown in one Section. (i.e., a sheep may not show as a Hampshire and a Wether-Type) in Open and Youth.
- Youth exhibitors will be permitted to enter up to two (2) breeds in this department and a maximum of ten (10) head total in the breeding classes. No more than 1 entry per class. Youth Division is open to Michigan youth only.
- Tampering and/or misrepresentation as to breeding, age, ownership and any other irregularity in showing will be considered fraud and deception. Any premiums, trophies, and awards won by such exhibitor will be withheld. Unethical fitting shall include the following:
a. The addition of any wool or wool-like substance.
b. The cutting, tearing or gluing of the hide or underneath the hide or removal of tissue in an attempt to alter the shape of the animal.
c. The injection of any gas, solid or liquid under the hide to alter the normal conformation.
d. Any attempts to disrupt or change the normal dental development of the animal.
e. Any products administered internally or externally to alter the conformation of the animal (such as steroids and growth stimulants) are prohibited
- Southdown, wether type and Shropshire sheep must be slick shorn.
EXPLANATION OF TERMS
- Ages for all lambs will be as follows (except Dorsets): Senior, September 1 to December 31; Intermediate, January 1 to February 15; and Junior, February 16 and after. For Dorsets: Senior, September 1 to October 31; Intermediate, November 1 to December 31; and Junior, January 1 and after.
- The base date for computing age will be September 1 and lambs born after that date may be shown as lambs if they have all lamb teeth.
- Colored sheep are those sheep that are registered with a Natural Association and have at least 70% colored wool, other than white.
Youth Wether Type Breeding Sheep Show
- This show is open to all Michigan youth exhibitors. Exhibitors can show one (1) animal per class.
- All sheep must be slick shorn within 5 days.
Youth Sheep Showmanship
RULES: There will be three age divisions for Showmanship: 8 – 11, 12 – 15, and 16 – 19 (Age as of January 1, of the current year).
- Exhibitors who own and show an animal in a youth class are eligible for the showmanship class using one of their own animals.
- The animal used by an exhibitor must be one used in a regular class.
- A video of up to 90 seconds should be submitted. The video should contain the usual moves of a showmanship class. Moving the animal around the ring, bracing for the judge to handle, rear view and side view.
Youth Market Classes:
- Market classes for each livestock species have been added to youth divisions; however, no auction will take place.
- See guidelines for videos/pictures in first paragraph above.