Michigan Onion Industry Research Priorities
Michigan Onion Committee
John Bakker, Executive Director
12800 Escanaba Drive, Suite A
Dewitt, Mich. 48820
Updated December 2020
- Improved crop safety of post-emergence herbicides.
- Improved weed control with pre-emergence herbicides.
- Improved control of yellow nutsedge, marsh yellowcress and pepper weeds through chemical and/or cultural methods.
- Two emerging weeds which need analyzed to determine the impact on onion crops are white campion and purple amaranth.
- Improved understanding of Stemphyllium leaf blight to facilitate targeted application of effective fungicides when conditions favor this disease.
- Improved understanding and control of bacterial bulb rots.
- Development of disease forecasting models for onion.
- Improved control of onion thrips, pesticide resistance strategies for thrips and onion maggot, improved IPM strategies.