Try this healthier version of baked penne. We substituted whole-grain pasta for white pasta and added chicken and broccoli to boost the nutrition content!
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 20 Minutes
Numer of Servings: 6 servings - 1 ½-cup per serving
Calories per Serving: 300
- 3 cups uncooked whole-wheat penne pasta
- 1 cup of chicken breasts (cooked and diced)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 ½ cup fat-free milk
- 1 tablespoon flour
- ¼ cuplow-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup low-fat mozzarella and cheddar cheese
- 2 cups of broccoli
- Wash your hands for 30 seconds with hot water and soap.
- Sanitize all food prep surfaces and cooking utensils.
- Rinse and scrub all produce.
- Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- In a large pot, bring 2 quarts water to a boil. Gradually stir in pasta and return to a boil. Cook uncovered for 8-10 minutes or until tender. Do not overcook. Drain well. Toss pasta with ½ teaspoon garlic.
- Fill a medium pot with water and bring to a boil. Add broccoli florets and cook for 5 minutes. Drain well.
Sprinkle with remaining garlic.
- Transfer pasta and broccoli to a medium casserole dish (about 8” x 11”) coated with nonstick cooking spray.
Add chicken. Mix well.
- In a small mixing bowl, mix ½ cup half and half with flour. Whisk to remove lumps.
- In a medium skillet, heat chicken broth, salt, pepper, and remaining half and half. Stir constantly. Stir in half
and half/flour mixture. Stir constantly and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low. Stir frequently for 5 minutes. Sauce will thicken. Add cheese and stir until cheese melts.
Remove from heat. Pour sauce over broccoli/pasta mixture.
- Cover casserole dish with lid or with foil. Bake at 350 °F for 8 minutes. Heat to an internal temperature of 165 °F or higher for at least 15 seconds (use a food thermometer to check the internal temperature). Remove from oven.
- Serve hot.