Grains for Brewing and Distilling Virtual Happy Hours return for 2021
Join the discussion during these Virtual Happy Hours to learn from experts about small grains for brewing and distilling.
For those who have the privilege of working with barley, rye and other small grains for malting and craft beverage production, Michigan State University Extension invites you to the second series of virtual gatherings: Grains for Brewing and Distilling Virtual Happy Hour. The MSU Extension small grains for craft beverages team thoroughly enjoys presenting our work, sharing updates from valued colleagues and coming together to share our thoughts and camaraderie.
We have a new series of episodes planned that will each focus on a specific topic with video recordings made available after each meeting. Here are our upcoming topics for 2021:
- Feb. 5 – Barley Breeding for the East and Midwest, Rich Horsley, North Dakota State University
- Feb. 12 – Barley Breeding for the East & Midwest II, Mark Sorrels, Cornell University
- Feb. 19 – Topic to be determined
- Feb. 26 – Topic to be determined
- March 5 – Rye Malting Quality and Grain Production, Paul Schwarz, North Dakota State University
- March 19 – Spotlight on the MSU Craft Beverage Analysis Lab, Nicole Shriner, Michigan State University
- March 19 – Barley and Hop Terroir, Campbell Morrissy, Oregon State University and Rob Sirrine, Michigan State University
- March 26 – The Craft Malt Movement, Jesse Bussard, director, Craft Maltsters Guild
- April 2 – Managing Small Grains for Optimal Yield and Quality, Manni Singh, Michigan State University
- More topics and guests coming soon!
Each Grains for Brewing and Distilling Virtual Happy Hour will include 30 minutes of presentations from MSU researchers and industry leaders, then 15 to 30 minutes of open discussion with the beverage of your choice. Short, sweet and thirst quenching!
To sign up and receive updates, reminders and session invitations for the Happy Hour Series, click below.
If you missed the first series of the Grains for Brewing and Distilling Virtual Happy Hour, past sessions can be viewed on our MSU Winter Barley YouTube channel.
Malting barley and small grains information and resources are available through MSU Extension’s Malting Barley website. For additional information about the Happy Hours, contact Ryan Hamilton at email@example.com.
This work is supported by the Michigan Craft Beverage Council, the American Malting Barley Association, Inc., North Dakota State University, and the Brewers Association.