Advances in Berry Production workshop offered
Current and potential berry growers are invited to attend this workshop on March 20-21 to learn about the production of day-neutral strawberries and culture of raspberries using protective structures.
A two-day workshop is being offered to provide current and potential berry growers in-depth knowledge on the production of day-neutral strawberries and culture of raspberries using protective structures. The intent is to provide cutting edge information from growers and researchers.
The workshop will be held March 20-21, 2014, at the Springfield Golf and Country Club, 2054 Gordon Street, Guelph, Ontario. Attendees will benefit most if they already grow or plan to grow day-neutral strawberries or raspberries in greenhouses or tunnels, but all are welcome to attend. It’s not a basic learn-to-grow type of program. The goal is to learn from each other, share research results and what you have learned in the field through trial and error. Speakers are coming from Michigan, Ontario and Quebec.
Pre-registration is required at $150 for two days or $100 for one day. To register, call or email the Ontario Berry Growers Association at 613-258-4587 or email@example.com. Space is limited to 50 participants, so register soon. View a brochure for more information.
Thursday, March 20
9:30 a.m. -noon
- Welcome and round table introductions
- Day-neutral strawberry physiology and production systems, Jim Hancock, Michigan State University
- Our DN strawberry production system in Quebec, Guy Pouliot , Ferme Onésime Pouliot Inc.
- Cultivars and management systems for DN strawberries, Becky Hughes, University of Guelph, Discussion
- Effect of temperature on flowering and fruiting of DN strawberries, Adam Dale, University of Guelph
- Optimizing fertigation in da- neutral strawberries
- Substrate production of strawberries, Dr. Yves Déjardins, Université Laval
- New technology for DN strawberry growers – low tunnels, biodegradable mulch, Eric Ménard, Dubois Agrinovation
- Keeping one step ahead of anthracnose and flower thrips, Pam Fisher, OMAF & MRA
- Focused discussions with short grower presentations, on harvest management and use of plug plants
- Day-neutral costs of production: Results of 2012 Survey, Dragan Galic, University of Guelph
Friday, March 21
- My vision for high tunnel raspberry production in Ontario, Adam Dale, University of Guelph
- Our raspberry production system in tunnels, Guy Pouliot , Ferme Onésime Pouliot Inc.
- Evaluating raspberry varieties grown in pots in a tunnel production system, Eric Hanson, Michigan State University
- Raspberry production and cane density under high tunnels and Voen covers, André Gosselin, Université Laval
- Organic production systems in high tunnels, Eric Hanson, Michigan State University
- Pest management for raspberries in tunnels: can you beat spotted wing drosophila, Pam Fisher, OMAF and MRA
- Open Discussion